The Tilling Group was established in November 1963 and began as a small factory in Eltham Victoria. The company now has large, modern offices and warehouses in every state capital of mainland Australia. It has manufacturing facilities at its head office in Kilsyth, Victoria, and FrameSmart treatment facilities in Queensland, New South Wales and Western Australia.
The Tilling Group is comprised of a number of smaller business units. These include:
- The SmartFrame division, which caters to the domestic and multi-residential markets.
- The FrameSmart division, which accommodates all solid timber machine grade softwood framing solutions.
- The Architectural products division, which utilises traditional timber milling and profiling methods to create beautiful products delivering the natural aesthetic of timber to interior spaces.
- Overarching the entire group is our Engineering and Design Centre. This Design Centre is staffed by experts from a range of disciplines to provide full engineering services, specifically focusing on timber (re)engineering in lieu of alternative material construction, estimation and customised design.
The company distributes its products on a wholesale basis only, through its national network of sales offices and distribution warehouses. Please visit the contact page for more details.
The company supports and distributes its own unique range of Engineered Wood Products known as SmartFrame. Products in this range include SmartJoist I-joists, SmartLVL, SmartLam glued laminated beams; all able to be designed and specified with the state of the art SmartFrame software program and SmartFrame Design Compendium technical library. A fully automated SmartFrame cutting system can provide cut to length options and precut web penetrations.
Tilling FrameSmart is a range of machine graded seasoned softwood framing products available in the common sizes and in pack lengths up to 5.7m. This product is available either untreated.
Tilling Timber is the sole Australian licensee of the patented timber/steel composite I-beam. The composite construction produces an I-beam with superior stiffness and strength properties depth to depth compared to timber only I-Joists, and some solid timber/LVL sections. The evenly spaced holes at either 450 or 600mm centres allows simple and easy passage of services through the web. The characteristics of the TecBeam lend themselves to longer span or more heavily loaded floor joist systems and are commonly used as part of the SmartFloor prefabricated cassette.
Presently there is considerable interest in the construction of timber pre-fabricated components within class 2-5 projects. Timber or timber composites are an ideal alternative to current construction methods with considerable environmental advantages, such as the storage of Carbon and Recyclability. A primary reason for building in timber is the speed of assembly. Timber has been found to be quicker to construct and easier to work with, not to mention considerable advantages in weight reduction with comparable strength to alternative materials.
The Architectural products range includes solid timber linings, solid timber cladding, pre-finished solid timber linings, shingles, shakes and a range of finishing mouldings. The pre-finished lining boards are coated with three layers of satin finish polyurethane . So once installed, the job is done. No smells, no mess – it’s that simple.
SmartFrame Design Centre
The team is made up of Engineers, Building Designers, Builders, Building Surveyors and F&T Detailers all working together to provide an integrated solution for your project requirements. Services provided by the SmartFrame Design Centre include:
- Full engineering support on all SmartFrame EWP
- Free design and take off from building plans
- Dedicated toll free engineering support line
- Structured SmartFrame software training program
- Certification of engineering designs to relevant state Building acts and regulations.
Tilling Timber’s manufacturing equipment includes:
- Dehumidifying drying kilns with a combined charge capacity of 370 cube metres,
- Hydromat Weinig moulders with a combined capacity on a one shift basis of 65,000 lineal metres,
- a unique multi-million dollar continuous pre-finishing line with a capacity of 30,000 lineal metres on a two shift basis.